Teeth straightening treatments have become increasingly popular recently, but are they any better than traditional methods like braces and veneers? Read on to learn more about this as we explore the pros and cons of Invisalign for teeth straightening and how they’re effective.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a cosmetic dentistry treatment that involves a removable, clear plastic dental appliance that uses clear aligners to realign teeth to improve their appearance.
Invisalign aligners are custom-fit to each individual’s teeth so they can be effective and comfortable to the user.
There are several types of Invisalign:
- Invisalign Full is the most used type and uses the maximum number of fixed aligners that snap into place on teeth and correct misalignments. This type is only used in severe teeth misalignment cases.
- Invisalign Lite is similar to the Invisalign Full since it has a fixed number of clear aligners. The only difference is it’s used to manage less severe conditions.
- Invisalign i7 is the most recent addition to the lineup, and it’s used to treat minor conditions or correct relapsing conditions.
- Invisalign Teen, this type is made specifically for teens, given that they still experience rapid growth changes, and the other types don’t accommodate this in their design.
How do they work?
Invisalign works by moving your teeth into the correct position, and they can be effective for several different reasons.
First, the aligners help move your teeth into the correct positions, so they are closer to each other. This makes it easier for you to chew and speak properly and can also help reduce the severity of your dental problems.
To achieve this, the doctor bonds tooth-colored attachments to teeth. These attachments serve as anchors for the aligners and provide traction to gradually and painlessly move the misaligned teeth to desired positions.
Although it’s not always necessary, interproximal reduction (IPR) may be done for individuals with crowded teeth. This reduction is at most 0.4mm and helps facilitate better alignment of teeth by creating more space for corrective movement and rearrangement.
Additionally, the aligners help to realign your jawbone so that your teeth are aligned more easily. This can help to restore your smile and improve your overall dental health.
Are they safe?
Invisalign is a popular teeth straightening solution that has been on the market since the early 90s and is classified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as Class II medical device. According to the company, it is a safe and effective way to achieve beautiful, straight teeth. However, there are some potential side effects of Invisalign that should be considered before choosing this treatment method.
One potential problem with using Invisalign is that it can cause excessive tooth movement. This can lead to problems such as tooth loss or other dental issues in the future. It is essential to discuss with your dentist whether Invisalign is right for you before starting the treatment.
Another potential issue is that gums may fail to reattach to teeth leaving black triangular spaces.
It is essential to discuss your dental goals with a dental expert before using Invisalign. If you experience any problems after treatment, make an appointment with a specialist as soon as possible.
What are the potential side effects of Invisalign?
The most common side effect of Invisalign is that it may cause teeth to move out of alignment.
This can happen because the aligners gradually shift the misaligned teeth into the desired position(s), which might touch on a few nerves causing some pain, or because your teeth are more sensitive than average and are more likely to cause discomfort during and after treatment. If this happens, you may need to have your teeth corrected by a dentist.
Other potential side effects of Invisalign include:
- Jaw pain
- Difficulty chewing food properly
- Tooth Sensitivity
- Dry mouth
Is it worth getting Invisalign?
It can be hard to know whether or not Invisalign is right for you, especially if you’re not sure if you need them. But if you’re interested in straightening your teeth, the answer is a resounding yes! Here are five reasons why getting Invisalign is a great idea:
- They’re affordable – Invisalign is one of the most cost-effective ways to get your teeth straightened. Depending on the package you choose, they can be at par or cheaper than other types of dental care.
- They’re fast – The entire process of getting Invisalign is quick and easy. You can start wearing them as soon as your cosmetic dentist has determined that you need them, and they typically take around two weeks to wear completely.
- They can be customized – If you have specific goals in mind for your teeth alignment, Invisalign can help you achieve them quickly and easily. You can also choose from various templates and designs to find one that best suits your needs.
- They’re discreet. Unlike traditional braces, which are often visible from the outside, Invisalign aligners are almost always undetectable. This makes them a good option for people who want to keep their dental care private.
- They’re easy to take care of. You just brush and floss your teeth like you usually would and take care of the Invisalign brackets the same way. If you ever need to adjust them, it’s a simple process that only takes a few minutes.
How long does it take for Invisalign to work?
Generally, most people experience significant improvement within around 3-4 months of starting treatment. Some people may see further improvements after a few months, while others may not see any changes until several months later.
If you are considering Invisalign, discussing your dental treatment goals with an experienced dentist or orthodontist is essential. They will be able to provide you with an estimated timeline and offer any advice or support that you may need along the way.
Invisalign is one of the most popular cosmetic treatments on the market and for good reason. They work by moving your teeth into the desired position using clear, removable aligners that are adjusted to your teeth’s shape.
While Invisalign is a great way to straighten teeth, working with qualified and experienced medical professionals is essential. This is because Invisalign can be very effective at improving your smile, but if not installed and used correctly, it can also cause significant damage to your teeth.
Flatiron Family Dental is adequately equipped with skilled and experienced doctors, conducive facility and dedicated staff ready to help resolve any condition you might have.
If you are considering using Invisalign for tooth straightening or need more clarification, contact us today!